Sunday, February 14, 2010

Hip Hip Hooray!...



...It's Valentine's Day!

We actually don't celebrate Valentine's Day in the Scarbrough household...at least not in the traditional sense. Shannon and I have a $5 spending limit on each other: just enough to buy a card or a bag of chocolate. I've never been a fan of Valentine's Day, whether single or in a relationship, so we have maintained a very low-key approach to the day. I'm a firm believer that if you love someone, you should tell them you love them and make them feel special on any day of the year, not just on the day that society tells you that you should. I love it when my husband buys me flowers because he thought of me, not when he buys them because he feels like he should. I love it when he surprises me with dinner plans because he figures it's been awhile since we had a "real" date, not when he feels like he needs to splurge because it's February 14th. And I love to make his favorite meals and buy him candy (rarely found in our house) just to show him I love him, not because he expects it on a specific day.

However, now that we have a child (and more to come one day!) I'm sure that we will celebrate Valentine's Day a bit more than in years past. Maybe we'll make heart-shaped cookies, and maybe we'll make sure our girls get flowers from their daddy. But it'll never be commercialized in our home: love will be shown and our children will know that we love them on February 14th and on every other day of the year!


A dozen red roses that Shannon bought me. Not for Valentine's Day, but for Thursday, February 4th.

2 comments:

  1. very pretty! the family and the roses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm playing catch-up reading blogs--didn't know about Lane's hematoma. :( But I'm glad it's nothing to worry about. She's so beautiful! I still wish I could get my hands on her. (btw, Mike and I just usually get cards for each other, too. But I do love those heart-shaped cookies that we didn't make this year!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!