Sunday, July 18, 2010

To market, to market

Today I ventured into the Sunday Bazaar right down the street from our apartment for the first time.

Alone.

I had no idea if I would make it back home with the things on my list, or if I would be empty handed. After all, the only words I know so far relating to market-shopping are "one," "two," and "watermelon" (since I've bought 4 of them in the last week!). And "kilo" seems to be pretty universal, so I guess you can count that too.

As it turns out, I was pretty successful:


A kilo each of cherries, peaches, beans, tomatoes, and onions, plus 1/2 kilo of peppers, broccoli, and a bunch of basil.

My grand total was about $11.00, or 18 lira. Peaches and beans for less than $1.00 per kilo, tomatoes for just over that, and cherries, eggplant, and peppers for just over $2.00 a kilo. I love it when cultures make it affordable for you to eat healthily. On the menu for the week: pasta primavera, stuffed eggplant (we ate that tonight! A recipe will follow after I've perfected it), chicken bruschetta, veggie lasagna, homemade pizza, and couscous chicken salad. Yum.

I think that going to the Sunday Bazaar will be a weekly occurrence, and there's another bazaar up the hill in the opposite direction on Thursdays, so I may frequent it as well after the August heat has passed, of course, since the grade on the hill looks to be at least 30%.

3 comments:

  1. you did a good job shopping! Your menu for the week sounds delicious. wish we lived closer, lol. I'll be looking forward to that eggplant recipe. I love eggplant! I bought one last week in our local market and attempted to fry it (for the first time) but wasn't too fond of how it turned out. I'd welcome some new ideas on how to cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you can't use coupons there like you did here in the states but since you are a whiz at cooking from scratch, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you. Those veggies and fruit look amazing. and the price is pretty cool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! The produce looks yummy and the menu sounds scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!