Monday, September 27, 2010

A Confession

It's no secret that pregnant and nursing women get to eat more calories than your average, run-of-the-mill, not-pregnant-or-nursing woman. 300 calories more per day if you're pregnant, and 500 more if you're nursing, to be exact.

I love those extra calories.

I've always had a high metabolism and have never struggled with my weight. I've always eaten pretty healthily, have never "counted" calories, and never know exactly how much I weigh.

I've never owned a scale.

But now that Lane is (finally) sleeping through the night, I find myself moving from 6 nursings a day down to 5, and we'll probably work down to 4 within a month or so after her schedule has regulated itself.

And I won't get to eat as much.

I'm quite saddened by the fact that I will have to once again be conscious of how much junk food I shovel into my mouth. Today alone I've had 2 pieces of chocolate cake, 2 slices of pumpkin bread, and 3 chocolates. That's in addition to my morning oatmeal with nuts and cranberries and raisins, my lunch of potatoes and chicken and zucchini, and my dinner of chicken noodle soup and bread, and my fruit choices for the day of 1 1/2 plums and a cup of grapes. It's more difficult here to find healthy snacks in the stores and healthy cereal is ridiculously expensive, so I end up making stuff like cookies and sweet breads and then eating them when I get hungry. Which is often.


This has nothing to do with this post. But let's face it: baby butts are cute. Especially my baby's butt.

My metabolism has not slowed down. I'm still "allowed" probably 400-500 extra calories per day. I don't eat "just because." I eat because I'm hungry. But it's all going to be over soon. I'm trying to come to terms with that fact.

Do any of you have good, not-too-bad-for-you snacks that you like to eat (that aren't processed...ie: I could find them here)? Because I'm looking for suggestions. Maybe it'll fill the gap between a healthy amount of sweets and the 1000 calories worth of them I've eaten today. Help, help, help! I need some healthy snacks!

4 comments:

  1. make a big thing of hummus and eat with either whole wheat pita or cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could just get pregnant again. Then you could keep eating. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're ridiculous... you ate like that before you were pregnant! I vote for popcorn. Is that there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gained a little bit of weight after I weaned Ava so watch out! I was below my normal weight and went back to it after weaning but I have to watch what i eat now because I AM getting older.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!