Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November Recap

Earlier this month I shared with you all some of my goals for November. Now that November is over (where on earth did it go???), I'm here to share how I did!

In relation to God:
1. Memorize Ephesians 4:29.
2. Read my Bible every day in accordance with my read-through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan.
3. Read "Shepherding a Child's Heart."
4. Listen to 2 online sermons.
5. Choose a Bible study plan for 2011.

So, I memorized my verse, I read my Bible every day, I listened to 2 sermons (wow, I'd forgotten how much I miss going to a "real" church!), and I chose a Bible study plan for at least part of 2011. I'm going to be doing Beth Moore's new study on Esther. Has anyone out there done it? Is it good? I've already ordered it, so if it's not...don't tell me. :-) I didn't do very well at reading "Shepherding a Child's Heart." I think I read maybe 2 chapters. That'll be on my goals list again in December.

In relation to my family:
1. Do something touristy once.
2. Have a date night without Lane at least once.
3. Go to the park 2 times per week as a family.
4. Be in bed by 10:00.
5. Visit a new part of Istanbul by public transportation.
6. Take Lane outside for at least 15-20 minutes every day unless it's raining.

We did manage to get a date! We went to see the new Harry Potter movie, and it was great. The books are better (of course), but still, the movies are fun. We visited quite a few new parts of Istanbul due to our ikamet adventures. And while I didn't take Lane outside every day, I did take her outside most days (like, 25-26 of 30). It rained a couple of days and I was sick a couple of days, and then I was just lazy a couple of days.

We didn't do anything touristy this month, even though we took the tram right by the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia 5 times. We were just always too tired, or we had a class to go to, or it was Thanksgiving... Maybe this month we'll get to do something touristy. I think we only went to the park as a family once this month. Eeek. Honestly this month was just insane, so that's part of the reason, but part of it was just unintentionality (is that even a word?) as well.

And, oh, my bedtime. Sigh. I'll try again this month.

Personal goals:
1. Make our bed every day.
2. Try 2 new (healthy) recipes.
3. Do another practice run on Lane's birthday cake.
4. Buy myself a new article of clothing (or at least go shopping).
5. Get my booty out of bed by 6:00.
6. Write in my journal every other day (last month's goal was every day...proved to be too optimistic).

While I didn't make our bed every day, I (or we, or Shannon) did make it most days. I didn't make it the 2 days I was sick, and I didn't make it on Thanksgiving. I'd call that a success. I did try 2 new recipes this month. I made a friend's recipe for chili, and it was good, although not chili like we're used to. I also made a chicken-and-rice soup that was to die for (expect a recipe on the recipe blog soon). I made stuffing and rolls for Thanksgiving, and I made some pumpkin apple muffins. And I went shopping! Alone! It was fabulous. Did you know, the last time I went anywhere by myself that was not to the grocery store or to pay a bill was in March? I didn't even realize that until a few days ago. This is going to be on my list every month from now on. Anyhow, I bought a new belt (I so needed one) and some new undershirt/tank tops. I looked at jeans but they're so expensive here that I'm going to have to really love them (or really need them) before I fork out almost 100 lira for a pair.

And my shortcomings: I never did do a practice run on Lane's cake. I'll definitely be doing that this month. I didn't write in my journal much at all. I was doing really well until I got sick and then I just got out of the habit and before I knew it, it was yesterday and I hadn't written in it since the 13th. It really is a chore for me to write in that thing! Any suggestions? I really want to do better at it! And then there's the 6 a.m. thing, which, let's be honest, didn't happen but a few days. It really is hard, though, to get up at 4:30 or 5 to nurse Lane and then either a) get up then, or b) get up less than an hour later, especially when I haven't been going to bed as early as I should. However, the past 3 nights in a row Lane has slept straight through until 6:45. So...this goal might be more doable now, if she keeps it up.

So, there you go. I really do like setting goals. It helps me to be intentional about things that I enjoy doing and should do (like listening to sermons), but forget to do or forget how long it's been since I did it. You'll probably start to notice repeat goals as I find ones that I like and that help me, as well as some new goals that are "limited-time only" goals.

Stay tuned...tomorrow (ok, probably not tomorrow since tomorrow is a busy day...more like Thursday) I'll update you all on my December goals. Start thinking of your own goals as well...it helps to be accountable!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!