Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving

Lest I one day forget my first Thanksgiving in Turkey, and Lane's first Thanksgiving, period:

We left our apartment early that morning to go get our ikamets. When we arrived home, we ate lunch and began the process of setting up the Christmas tree. I went to go talk to our doorman about getting the tree out of the basement. We cleared a spot for the tree. We began setting it up (and finished while Lane was napping). When she woke up we brought her to the living room, thinking she'd be enthralled. Instead, she was terrified. It took her awhile to warm up to it. (But now she loves to pull off the ornaments on the bottom of the tree. Don't worry, we put some unbreakable ones there just for her.) We ordered Pizza Hut online and had it delivered for dinner. We watched an episode of Friends. And we relaxed.


Our bee-you-tiful tree! Check out the reflection: there aren't lights on the back half of the tree because only 3 strands worked and we don't know where to buy more! (The tree and lights belong to the family in whose apartment we're staying.)

Friday we prepped ourselves all day for the Auburn vs. Alabama game that evening. Lane dressed the part. She pulled 'em through.


Isn't she cute?

Saturday we celebrated Thanksgiving with friends. We had six Americans, two Canadians, a Pole, a Turk, a Chinese gal, and three kids. I made stuffing for the first time, rolls, and a pumpkin pie. In order to make the pie I had to roast my own pumpkin. I had to make my own pie crust. I had to make my own gingersnaps for the topping. I had to make my own evaporated milk. And then I had to make the pie! It was good, though, and totally worth all the work! Others brought roasted chickens, mashed potatoes, green beans, carrot soufflé, and chocolate pie. We drank coffee with homemade pumpkin spice coffee creamer. We talked and read books to the children. We laughed and lamented the lack of sweet potatoes in Turkey. We made new friends and remembered old friends. And we were thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a pretty good first Thanksgiving for Lane & in Turkey :). I can't imagine how difficult it would be to be so far from family around the holidays, but it's not your first is it? So glad you had a great day! I really enjoy reading your blogs by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!