Thursday, August 16, 2012

Life Lately

Life is just crazy. It's always crazy. I keep wondering when life is going to "normal out," and I'm beginning to think that it never will...that this is our new normal. So I'm trying to make the best of it. I'm trying to live in the here and now, to enjoy my kiddos, and to conquer all the everyday things that need conquering. Life lately has consisted of:

1) Food. More specifically, baby food. Dear goodness, my 8-month old can eat a lot. I've tried giving her store-bought baby food, and she will. not. eat the stuff. So I'm making it all at home, which is all fine and dandy, just time consuming. Especially when she eats like a teenaged boy. Today she ate 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 pear, 1/2 cup cheerios and puffs (thank you SO much to those of you who sent us those...they've been great for working on her pincer grasp!), about 11 cubes of veggies (carrots, zucchini, peas, green beans), 1/2 cup rice cereal, 1/2 cup oat cereal, and a scrambled egg yolk. And she nursed four times. And every time we feed her she acts like she's never eaten in her life. Needless to say, I'm cooking baby food of some kind almost every day and my blender is getting a workout.

Baby food. Taking over my freezer. (Well, that and the frost...)

2) Speaking of my blender, last week I made a trade with a friend who's moving back to the States. I gave her my Kitchen Aid stand mixer and food processor, both of which are from the U.S. and have plugs and voltage for the U.S. She gave me her Kitchen Aid stand mixer and blender, both of which have plugs and voltage for here. Win-win, all around. And the blender...totally awesome. I've never had such a nice blender.

3) Language-learning. Still. Now that Shannon's not traveling as much, I'm not traveling, Shannon's not in class, we haven't been to any conferences, and we aren't hosting any house guests, I've started going to class again, and studying at home as well. Unfortunately (for me), class falls during nap time, so I miss out on that six or so hours a week of get-stuff-done time, which is part of the reason this blog has suffered. The down-time I'd often have at nap or bed times has quickly been replaced with doing-homework-time. 'Tis only a season, I keep telling myself.

4) Spring cleaning...a few months late. One of the upsides to living in an apartment as opposed to a house is that there's not nearly as much cleaning to do. However, there's always still cleaning to do! Last week when we pulled a toddler bed out of our storage room (aka: Turkish toilet), we found some slight mold growing. So we pulled everything out and I cleaned out the bathroom with bleach. Then I cleaned all our trunks with bleach. And then I figured that since we already had everything pulled out of there, I might as well organize the girls' clothing (give away, Noel's outgrown but save for another baby, Lane's outgrown but save for Noel, Lane hasn't grown into yet, etc.) to be more easily accessible when we need it. I've also deep cleaned the grout in the bathroom and kitchen floors. All of these projects: completely yuck.

5) 24. Have you guys watched 24? I know it's like...well, really old (relatively speaking), but Shannon and I are just now getting around to starting the series. We received an iTunes gift card about a month ago (thanks, guys!) and decided to buy season 1 with it. We're thoroughly enjoying something new to watch, and are trying our best not to let it overtake our lives. We're about 2/3 of the way through and already talking about season 2...we'll definitely have to buy it when the time comes! Anyone have any other favorite shows for when we're done with 24? And can I just mention how great it is to be able to download something on iTunes and not have to haul discs around? Fantastic.

So there you have it. What's been consuming me. Oh, yeah, and these girls have taken a good bit of my time, too. But I don't mind. I mean, look at them! Sorry, all-you-other-parents-out-there, but my girls are the cutest kids out there. For reals.

1 comment:

  1. Your life sounds exactly like mine. I keep wondering why I complained about being tired when I only had 1 kiddo because life with 2 is so much more exhausting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!